I have been working with glass as my creative medium for over thirty years, beginning with stained glass, transitioning to lamp work beads, and finally, about thirteen years ago to glass fusing. For seven years I was a designer, and fabricator, with Maureen McGuire Design Associates, in Phoenix. While there I had the opportunity to design windows and sculpture for several Arizona churches.
The autonomous stained and fused glass pieces I’ve created over the years have seen sold through galleries around the southwest, and directly to the public at juried art and craft fairs.
With all these years of involvement with glass I have never been more excited with the medium than I am now. Through fusing I’m reminded of glasses’ true liquid nature, enjoying the transformation in the kiln, the mingling of color layers, and a new found freedom of form.
Currently my larger pieces include wall pieces, platters, masks, tiles and lamps. I’m also in the process of designing and fabricating an altar window for Pearce Lutheran Church in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, combining fusing and traditional stained glass leading to create the larger window.
Suzanne Spalding fused glass
* Grace Lutheran Church, Albuquerque, NM – Sixteen stained glass windows and a fused glass processional cross.
* Good Shepherd Villa, Mesa, AZ – Seventeen chapel windows combining fused and stained glass
* Eldorado vista Care Center, Phoenix, AZ – Etched glass sliding room partition.
* St. George Catholic Church, Apache Junction, AZ – Stained glass windows, and Our Lady of Guadeloupe Shrine (as an associate designer with Maureen McGuire Design Associates)
* Planeck Residence, Chicago IL – Dining and living room windows.
* Vanco Residence, Naperville, IL – 10 living room windows.
Abbreviated list of awards
* ArtFest™ of Tucson – Best of Glass 2000
* Tempe Festival of the Arts – Best of Glass Spring 2002, Fall 2002, Fall 2004, Spring 2005
* Castle Rock ArtFest,- Best of Glass 2007
To learn more about Suzanne, please visit her website at www.suzanne-spalding-glass-art.com.